Sunday, June 13, 2010

Being Forgiven

When I was in my third semester at university we had the occasional class with a new assistant professor on her first academic assignment. She was a good scholar and I came to respect her greatly afterwards. But in those early days some student did not get on very well with her.

One day, with the typical conceit and thoughtlessness of the young and inexperienced, a few of us spoke disparagingly of her classes to the head of the department. We were among the best students, so our criticism was taken more seriously than it need have been. It was only after I noticed how hurt our poor assistant professor was that I realized what we had done, sounding off to her supervisor instead of broaching the deilcate subject with herself. I felt so ashamed of myself. SO together with a fellow student involved in the incident I went up to her after class and apologized.

This might have been the end of the story. But as the days passed I kept feeling bad about the whole thing. So after a fortnight I sought another interview with her to tell her once more how sorry I felt. I will never forget Brygida's kindness and understanding. She got up, gave this tearful, immature young girl a big hug and said , "Why, I have forgiven you. but you need to forgive yourself!" She then invited me to her place for a meal and a good long chat. It was the beginning of a solid friendship that lasted for many years, right until Brygida's premature death from cancer.

This was my first major experience of being forgiven and learning to forgive myself.

-Elisabeth-

No comments:

Post a Comment